SFU’s Summer Publishing Workshops are offering several 1-day workshops this summer on digital media. The workshops are an excellent opportunity to learn from industry professionals in an informative, discussion-based format. If you’re interested in learning more about digital media this August, below are the workshops we recommend.
Note: All the workshops listed below cost $225.
August 9th, 9:00am - 5:00pm
This workshop will teach you how to convert your print books into ebooks. You will:
- Create a live ebook using sample content.
- Test types of e-book output methods.
- Play with add-ons and options that e-books can include.
August 10th, 9:00am - 5:00pm
Taught by Tyler Sherman of Denim & Steel, this one day workshop will teach you how to write clean, validating HTML. The course will cover:
- The difference between rich and plain text and what to look for when using publishing tools like WordPress or Drupal.
- HTML semantics and why they’re important.
- The basic structure of an HTML5 document and what it means to browsers and services like Google.
August 12th, 9:00am - 5:00pm
Ready to learn how to use every tool in the WordPress toolkit? This one day course will cover:
- All the features and functionalities available on a WordPress site.
- All of the extensions and additions you can augment your site with using plugins and themes.
- Establishing a best-practice scenario for creating, publishing, and sharing content on the web by integrating WordPress with social media and other web platforms.
August 14th, 9:00am - 5:00pm
Taught by Guacira Naves, Principal of The Online Strategy House, this course will take the mystery out of Search Engine Optimization. The course will cover:
- The influence that keyphrases should have in your site structure.
- How poor design may hinder a site’s visibility in search queries.
- The role Web analytics can play in SEO.
For more information on the workshops and registration, visit our Conferences & Events page.